Chief Executive Officer
Washington Housing Authority (WHA) has an opening for a Chief Executive Officer.
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is employed and supervised by the Board of Commissioners and is responsible to the Board for the overall administrative, planning, funding, execution, and management of housing and community development activities. The CEO is responsible for the day-to-day administration of the Housing Authority of Washington, NC, a public housing agency with a staff of 25 individuals and an annual budget of nearly $3 million dollars.
WHA is particularly interested in persons prepared to assume leadership in advancing a progressive Community Revitalization/Homeownership Project. Establishing residency in Beaufort County, NC, is required. A strong background in these areas is highly preferred:
- Non-Profit Development
- Low-income Housing Tax Credit Experience (including dealing with private sector partners)
- FEMA and HUD experience
- Personnel Growth & Development
The position conforms to a Contract or Employment Agreement between the Board and the Executive Director.
I. ESSENTIAL TASKS OF THE POSITION:
Interprets, implements, and administers the policies of the Board of Commissioners and all applicable federal and state housing regulations.
- Supervises the preparation of all materials to be reviewed by and to be acted upon by the Board.
- Acts as secretary to the Board, maintaining appropriate minutes, prepares draft meeting agendas for approval by Board Chair, files and records.
- Determines appropriate course(s) of action related to adopted policies and procedures.
- Approves all correspondence, notices and directives dealing with policies issued by the Board for clarity and soundness.
- Conforms to the requirements of the Working Agreement/Contract in force between the Director and the Board of Commissioners.
- Represents the Agency and maintains liaison with regulatory agencies, local officials and community-based organizations.
- Attends, on a consistent basis, meetings, workshops, conferences, seminars and other sessions, in order to gain first-hand knowledge of new or improved housing programs in the public and private sectors.
- Keeps informed of changes and innovations in the housing field as to matters of policy and operation.
- Prepares reports, i.e., organizational and Annual Reports, etc., for internal and external use.
- Acts as the Agency's Public Relations Officer clearing all external statements, reviews and policies before being released to media.
- Acts as the WHA Personnel Officer assuring that all personnel policies, procedures, position descriptions and general personnel practices conform with all applicable statutes.
- Acts as the Agency's Contracting Officer.
- Makes recommendations to the WHA Board on adoption of new policies and changes to existing policies.
Provides for the administration, leadership and management of the Agency.
- Prepares and presents to the WHA Board for approval and subsequently administers and controls the conditions outlined in the Annual Contribution Contracts, annual budgets and other supplemental budgets.
- Effectively delegates and monitors duties to appropriate staff for the achievement of agency goals and internal staff growth.
- Selects, appoints, develops, promotes, transfers and terminates all agency employees according to WHA policy as amended from time to time.
- Receives bids for Board approval and executes contracts for work by others and monitors work in progress for compliance with contractual provisions.
- Recruits, hires and sees to the proper supervision of all staff.
- Ensures adherence to all board personnel policies and state and federal employment laws.
- Ensures that performance evaluations of all staff are completed.
- Provides opportunities for staff to access continuing education and training so that they may advance in their careers.
- Supervises management and control of agency's payables, receivables, cash or other assets (including investments) associated with operating contracts, insurance administration and all internal and external financial operations.
- Initiates the writing of proposals and grants and effectively monitors same.
Directs and coordinates activities of managerial personnel engaged in carrying out agency objectives:
- Compiles agency budget for Board review and approval and reviews entire agency budget.
- Provides general oversight of the management and maintenance of all housing developments to ensure a high degree of livability at the lowest possible cost.
- Provides general oversight to the selecting of tenants, the execution of leases, the collection of rents, and the enforcement of leases as required by WHA Board policies and procedures.
- Performs other such duties as may be assigned by the WHA Board of Commissioners.
In addition to highly preferred background, the position requires:
- Administering the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher Program and in the related areas of housing quality standard, Family Self Sufficiency, and ROSS programs.
- Working knowledge of HUD regulations regarding public housing agencies and the Housing Choice Voucher Program.
II. POSITION REQUIREMENTS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Four-year college degree preferred; minimum of an Associate degree
- Five (5) years' experience in housing management, community development, public administration or a closely related field, or other related education and experience considered.
- Four (4) years in a significant management capacity at a public housing authority or other similar experience.
- Strong leadership skills, the ability to work well independently and with groups, tact, personal & professional integrity, compassion, diplomacy and strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Prior skills in budgeting, personnel management and public relations.
- Ability to travel between various buildings owned and operated by or in other WHA programs and to other meeting locations as required.
- Must be bondable.
- Insurance: Health Insurance, Disability Insurance
- Leave and Holidays: Sick Leave, Personal Leave, Vacation, Paid Holidays
- Retirement & Financial: Participation in the State Retirement System
This position is listed by Ward & Smith, PA. The Housing Authority of Washington, NC is the legal employer. No fee will be charged of the job applicant.
Job Type: Full-time
Starting Salary Range: $98,716.00 - $121,411.00 per year
Moving Allowance Negotiable.
Job ID: 6188
Job Title: Chief Executive Officer
Start Date: 11/01/2023
Application Deadline: 09/15/2023
Salary Range $98,716.00 - $121,411.00
Job Location: Washington, NC
Name: Gray, Ken
Phone Number: 252.672.5476
Best Method of Contact: EMAIL