In accordance with HUD regulations, the Washington Housing Authority is a smoke-free property.
- WHA does NOT have any designated smoking areas.
- Residents may not discard smoking products on the property.
- Residents are prohibited from smoking within 25 feet of all housing dwelling units, administrative office buildings, and maintenance facilities.
- Electronic cigarettes are not permitted in public housing units or common areas, or outdoor areas within 25 feet of housing and administrative buildings. The use of electronic cigarettes is prohibited in all common and outdoor areas in which smoking is prohibited.
If a tenant violates the Smoke-Free Policy, the following measures shall be taken:
- First Offense: The resident will receive a written warning and counseling from management focusing on adherence to the Smoke-Free Housing Policy.
- Second Offense: The resident will be issued a second written warning and referred to the NC Quit Now Cessation Program. WHA requires mandatory participation in this program.
- Third Offense: WHA will counsel the resident, forward a final notice, and levy a fine of $50.00.
- Fourth Offense: WHA will terminate the lease agreement in accordance with its Smoke-Free Housing Policy.